POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange : Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange
From: Tek
Date: 10 Nov 2005 23:41:27
Message: <437420f7$1@news.povray.org>
You'll see exactly the same thing if you take a photo of an orange, then
load it into your favourite paint program and gamma correct it.

Gamma effectively adjusts the brightness of the midtones and leaves 0 and 1
in the same place, so if your orange colour is <1,0.5,0> then with
assumed_gamma it will look more like <1,.73,0>, which is
<1,pow(0.5,1/2.2),0> because your monitor gamma is probably 2.2ish.

If you want to pick a colour in a paint program and have it look the same in
pov then you need to gamma correct it from your monitor's gamma space (the
space you picked it in) into the assumed_gamma space you've told pov to work
in. Usually that means applying pow(<colour>, 2.2) to it.

Personally I find it's just easier to always work with assumed_gamma 1
turned on, and pick numbers in pov that look right, and forget about gamma
space altogether.

--
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com